March 18, 2012

Getting Hit By A MACK Truck

 
I was listening to a sermon by David Platt the other day and he gave an illustration about salvation that I really enjoyed and thought I should share.
If I came in 15 minutes late today and told you that I am late today because, as I was changing a tire on the side of the highway I got hit by a MACK truck, which hurt quite a bit, I then finished fixing my tire and then got in my car and came here. You know I would be lying because you may not know much, but you know that when a person gets hit by a MACK truck you look different.

When a person comes face to face with the God of the universe in the flesh, the savior king of the nations, and righteous judge of all people's, who is sovereign over everything in the world. When you meet him you look different. Everything looks different. It is impossible to look the same.

I don't doubt that there are some in this room playing Christian but you've never truly met Jesus for who he is.

To leave behind / lay down, everything in your life doesn't make sense until you realize who the king is. And when you realize who He is, laying down everything is the ONLY thing that makes sense. 
 I enjoyed this illustration because, first of all it was funny, and secondly its true.

That being said this is a scary thing to realize. It's a heart check that we all need to think about.

Am I a radically different person than who I was before my salvation? If the answer is no then we need to do some serious soul searching, but if the answer is yes we should rejoice and praise God for His saving work in our lives, yet we still have to realize that we still have a long way to go.

We must always be struggling and striving to become more like the person of Christ.

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! (Rev. 20:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment