May 18, 2011

Worldliness

I have been reading a book called "Worldliness" edited by C.J. Mahaney, and I highly recommend it from what I've read. The authors in this book are not trying to put up restrictions and thus become legalistic but they don't want Christians to think that anything is a "go" either and they come at this subject of "worldliness" from a very Biblical perspective. I will give an overall analysis of the book once I finish it, but so far I found a totally practical and applicable bunch of questions about discerning the benefits of what we are submitting ourselves to in media.

Questions posed by Craig Cabaniss
Time Questions

  • Am I skipping of delaying something important in order to watch this now?
  • What are my other social/entertainment options besides watching television or going out to see a movie?
  • How much time have I already spent on media today?
  • How much time have I spent surfing the Internet? How much time have I spent blogging or maintaining an online presence through social network sites?
  • In the last week, how much time have I spent on the spiritual disciplines, building relationships, or serving in my local church compared to time spent consuming media?
  • After investing the time to view this, will I look back on it as time well spent?
Heart Questions
  • Why do I want to watch this program or film? What do I find entertaining about it?
  • Am I seeking to escape from something I should be facing by watching this? Am I seeking comfort or relief that can only be found in God?
  • What sinful temptations will this program or film present?
  • Do I secretly want to view something in it that's sinful? Am I deceiving myself by saying, "I'll fast-forward through the bad parts"? 
  • Similarly, am I telling myself, "I'll just visit this web site once, and I won't click on any of links I find there"?
  • Am I watching because I'm bored or lazy? If so,what does that reveal about my heart?
  • Am I watching simply because other are? Am I trying to be relevant or to fit in?
  • How has my online relationships impacted my face-to-face relationships? How has my online activity impacted my soul? For better or worse?
  • What motivates me to create and maintain a blog, Myspace, or Facebook presence? Am I attempting to impress others? Am I being prideful, slanderous, deceitful, or self-righteous?
Content Questions
  • What worldview or philosophy of life does this program or film present? What's the view of man's nature? What's the view of sin? Is sin identified as such? What's the view of God-ordained authority figures? and how do these views relate to God's view?
  • What does this program or film glamorize? What is valued or considered important?
  • Who are the heroes of the story? Why are they heroic?
  • Is sin shown as having negative consequences? Or is sin glorified or rewarded? Is sin presented in an appealing or seductive way?
  • What is humorous in this work? How are people made fun of? What is mocked?
  • Does violence appear as a natural part of the story, or is it used gratuitously to entertain?
  • What's the sexual content? Is there nudity? Sensual or seductive dress? are there images, language, or humor that are sexually impure?
  • Is sinful self-sufficiency honored? Are the heroic characters concerned for others or merely for themselves?
  • Does the program or film portray materialism as "the good life"?
  • Would seeing this help me better understand God's world? Would it help me understand my surrounding culture better without tempting me to sinful compromise? 
  • Will I benefit in any way from viewing this program or visiting this web site?
  • Does its content or artistry reflect truth, beauty, or goodness?
  • Online do I communicate graciously, patiently, and humbly? Do I use crude or arrogant speech? Is my speech consistent with the gospel, or does it reflect worldliness?
Again I found these questions to be very helpful to what we are watching in media as well as helping us to not waste our lives away in front of the television. But don't rely on this pick up the book to get explanations of how we are to live out 1 John 2:15 in our world today.

1 comment:

  1. These questions are great! And I love how they are broken up into categories (time, heart, content). I've read parts of that book and need to sit down to read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete