April 3, 2011

It Is Well

The old hymn "It is Well With my Soul" by Horatio Spafford is considered to be an "oldie but goody" yet many people don't know the story behind the song which whenever I think about it, it really helps me to see the priorities of life. 


The story begins with Spafford and his family going on a vacation to The first was the death of his only son in at the age of four, shortly followed by the great Chicago fire. Then, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business. 


Days later Spafford received a telegram from his wife that said "Saved alone." All four of Spafford's daughters had died as their ship was sunk and only his wife survived. 


As Spafford was journeying to meet back up with his wife he had the captain of the ship let him know when they were over the spot where the ship sunk and his daughters died. And at that moment he wrote this song
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,It is well, it is well, with my soul....
This story helps me to see where my priorities should be, and that is on God and not on the things of this world. John Piper said "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him, in the midst of loss." Thank God for men such as Horatio Spafford.

No comments:

Post a Comment