October 6, 2011

Fear Of God



Proverbs 1:7 tells us that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction (ESV).” It is of great importance that we have a healthy understanding of fear as it pertains to God. We talk of having a fear of God, but what does it mean to actually fear God? I believe that we focus so much on God’s grace, mercy, and love, that we miss out on the rest of God’s attributes: His holiness, omnipotence, justice, wrath, etc. We all acknowledge these attributes of God but do not like to emphasize them. However, it is very important that, when dealing with God, we do not emphasize any of His attributes over another. This is where I find the fear of God is not understood or studied very closely by us today. We want to worship and adore God not be frightened of Him. I agree that we do indeed need to worship and adore Him but that must include a right understanding and fearing of Him. And that fear means a reverent understanding as well as well as a very real terror. 

There is a transcendent side and reverent side to God, God is awesome. When we are in His presence we are in utter awe of His majesty and power. We see this very clearly when we are face to face with God in nature. On top of a mountain, we are in awe of the great height and views, yet we are wary that there is a great danger locating ourselves in that place. Although it is beautiful it can just as quickly become terrible. Wild animals have the same effect. For example I am not afraid of a snake but I do have a healthy fear of a snake. The difference is that even though I do not take off running the other way when I see a snake I will avoid or approach cautiously because I “fear” the snake, I know what that snake could possibly do to me if I get too close or anger it. Fear is the beginning of knowledge (Prov. 1:7), so for me to not fear that snake would be for me to be ignorant of the dangers that snake possesses. God will not tolerate sin and if we cannot fearfully understand that we will say with Isaiah in His presence, “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King…” (Isaiah 6:5). We revere, love, and glorify God, but before we run to Him we had better fear him. 

The second aspect of fear, I think, is best described as abject terror. To be brought low in an intense fear. When the disciples were in the midst of a storm, they were fearful for their lives. Yet when Jesus calmed the storm they were even more terrified. There is an immense fear that is brought upon by one who is holy. We don’t understand it and we are afraid of it. When Jesus had done the miracle of the great catch of fish in Luke 5, Peter wasn’t even looking at the fish, he was bowing on the ground telling Jesus to get away from him (Luke 5:8). Peter realized he was sinful and Jesus was set apart, holy. Instead of making Peter run to Jesus he wanted nothing more than to get away from Him. The same thing happened with Moses when he went to see the burning bush. Acts 7:32 tells us that when God spoke, Moses trembled and did not dare to look. Isaiah, in Isaiah 6, called a curse of death upon himself after being in the presence of God. Paul Washer describes fear as when our “knees knock together, and teeth chatter.” The sinful cannot stand to be in close proximity with the holy, it terrifies us to a point of ruin and death. 

Yes, God is graceful, merciful, loving, compassionate, and sympathetic, but He is also all powerful, wrathful, just, and awesome. And we should fearfully remember it before we do something foolish before Him. Philippians 2:12 tells us “therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” So quite literally Paul wants us to scare the Hell out of ourselves. There is nothing easy about salvation, praying the prayer won’t do. However; be comforted in the very next verse, “for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure” (Phil. 2:13). God can be counted on to get us through salvation’s door, but for us to know Him we must fear Him. 

Tremble if you ever feel any inclination to leave the Lord. - John Piper

No comments:

Post a Comment